Wednesday, March 18, 2009

St. Patrick’s Day Parade exceeds expectations

When I was told that I was going to be covering the 142nd Annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade I was a bit skeptical.

I’m not a big fan of crowded places filled with people who had been drinking for hours upon hours when I’m stone sober.

I’m also not a big fan of walking, which I figured I’d have to do plenty of due to how many cars were going to be downtown.

What had me worried most upon hearing of my assignment was “Am I really going to have to stand in Cleveland of all places for three hours in freezing cold weather?”

What did I do to deserve this boss?

Well, it looks like I had the luck of the Irish with me on Tuesday.

I left for Cleveland around 10:45 a.m. to hopefully find a decent parking spot so I wouldn’t be cursing everything about my job and my life while walking miles to the parade.

Lucky for me, I got some pretty prime parking in a lot at E. 24th St and Superior, six blocks away from step-off.

On top of that, the weather was absolutely perfect, almost too hot for what I was wearing.

As for the drunk people, well, that wasn’t one of the highlights.

Don’t get me wrong, I like being followed by people down the street for blocks who had obviously been drinking since Saturday morning asking who I work for or a few woman asking to flash their unmentionables to the camera (we aren’t that type of publication, sorry ladies) but I never really GOT the celebration of St. Patrick’s Day, and I’m Irish.

Actually, I never really GOT any day that involves getting up before the crack of dawn (I should stop that sentence right there) just to drink all day.

I get celebrating your heritage, but when did that turn into waking up at 5 a.m. to get rock buried and act like a fool?

Not to say I’ve never acted like a fool when I was drunk, because I do that probably every time I drink, but I don’t excuse myself by saying “It’s my heritage.”

Even in the height of my party days in college, I never participated in any St. Patrick’s Day celebration before noon, and that was tough.

Same goes for Tailgating, I don’t get it.

Sleep in, where’s the fire?

Maybe I was just jealous because I was walking around with a camera all day working while everyone around me was having the time of their life.

Enough ranting, the weather was perfect and the actual parade was exciting.

All in all, a good days work.

-Nick Carrabine

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home