Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Everything should be this easy

I'm not entirely sure why, but I always think voting will be, if not an ordeal, a minor pain -- that it will take more time than I'd like. Again, this year, I was reminded of just how easy participating in democracy can be.

I have a flexible schedule at work, so I'm able to pick a time to vote that shouldn't be all that busy. I typically vote around 4 p.m., but today I decided to gamble a bit and vote dangerously close to lunch hour -- about 11:40 a.m. And when I showed up at the Willoughby church where I was to cast my ballot, the small parking lot was just about full.

"Great," I thought. "I hope my country realizes that I'm willing to stand in a line to shape it."

(Please read that last bit in the sarcastic tone with which it is intended.)

When I got into the voting room, the church's basement, there were few voters. In fact, there may not have been any, but I didn't pay close attention. Instead, there were lots of helpful volunteers who got me behind an electronic ballot in what felt like about 60 seconds.

It took only slightly longer than that to vote, I think. Check mark here, check mark there. Republican here, democrat there. Before I knew it, I was done.

I got my "Thank you for voting" from one of the volunteers and the obligatory sticker, and I was on my way to the office.

If helping shape the course of Willoughby, Ohio and the United States is the toughest thing I do today, today will have been one easy day.

-- Mark Meszoros

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home